- 1 In-Ceiling Versus In-Wall Speakers
- 2 Where To Set Your Speakers?
- 3 What About The Wiring At Your Home?
- 4 What About Humidity At The Speaker Location?
- 5 4 Insanely Easy Steps To Install In-Ceiling Speakers
A fresh new look is not the only benefit of in-ceiling speakers. In fact, the endless functional and stylistic bonuses to a home audio system are its high quality audio as well as huge space-savings.
The main reason why in-ceiling speakers are not prevalent, owes it to the technical problems of fixing it.
In-Ceiling Versus In-Wall Speakers
This is an option that is subjective to the personal tastes of the speaker user as well as the location, than a universal law. If you want to cut down on the clutter, space or hindrance that a floor speaker will result in, in-ceiling is mandatory for you.
Nevertheless, if you are worried that in-ceiling speakers will trap you by having not more than one option, there are options for high quality speakers that are fixable both ways- into the ceiling and the walls.
Where To Set Your Speakers?
For speakers that are in-ceiling, you might think there are not many options. However, if the same is improperly fixed, portability is next to impossible, afterwards. Hence, you must fix on where to keep the speakers, before beginning your installation procedures.
What About The Wiring At Your Home?
The most important thing to remember when fixing speakers is that, not many speakers are wireless. If your choice is not cordless, lack of systematic arrangement will result in cluttered wires, electricity leaks and even minor shocks.
Some important tips to keep in mind are-
- Make sure to mark the spots of electrical wiring, HVAC ductwork and plumbing.
- The next important thing is to take a moment and relax to double-check or re-assure that all your markings are right prior to drilling.
- Never wire the speaker wires parallel to your electrical wiring. Avoid intersecting the wirings and if you must, the wire at a 90 angle.
- A golden rule is that thickness of the cable is directly proportional to the safety. The best is to use 14AWG for stranded wiring of the speaker cables.
What About Humidity At The Speaker Location?
On a general note, a major percentile of in-ceiling speakers is made for non-humid environments. The same is why moisture is poison to your speakers and you must ensure that the audio system is capable of withstanding moisture prior to installing it in vulnerable areas like bathrooms.
If you do otherwise, your speakers and its grills will begin to rust. To counteract this, the best solution is an audio system that can sustain all types of weather.
4 Insanely Easy Steps To Install In-Ceiling Speakers
In addition to complementing the acoustics of a room, in-ceiling speakers can save sufficient space to make the interior designing look grand as well as clutter-free.
A Thing To Remember …
In order to decide the right space on the ceiling for your speakers, you must first check behind the ceiling walls to ensure that there is an attic or space enough to burrow in and fix the speakers firmly. Next step is to analyze the building altogether and recognize the emergency codes in case of fires to minimize damages to the building.
When you fix the cables of the audio system into the desired location, care must be taken to keep far off from the electrical wiring of the building itself. More than safety, this action helps to curb the irregular humming sound within the audio system. Furthermore, in the case of your insulation getting blown-out, displace the insulation. If you do otherwise, the same might lead to the insulation falling down when cutting holes to install the speakers.
Step 1- Get Your Tools
In order to have a hassle-free in-ceiling installation, you must use
- Stud finder
- All side covered Goggles
- Sturdy Ladder
- Pencil/ Pen. Marker
- Tape (Painters)
- Template for Speakers
- Optional Laser leveler
- One Box cutter
- Keyhole saw
- Wire cutters
Step 2- Setting Your Workspace
Using you ladder, reach the desired location of in-ceiling space and recognize the studs as well as joists utilizing the stud finder. In fact, use the tape to mark the joists as well as to trace the location for the speakers and fix the template to double check the procedure.
Glue the template on to the wall and trace its outline with a pen, marker or a pencil. Next, using the box cutter on the drywall, begin to cut inside the line with the help of a keyhole saw. Circle with the cutter to leave no edges.
Step 3- Make The Speaker Hole
Now, wear the protective eye gear and remove the drywall. Make sure to grab the keyhole saw tight and cut unidirectional.
Step 4: How To Install The Speaker In The Ceiling
Firstly, make sure that your choice of speakers aligns perfectly into space. Gently insert it into the hole and fix it firmly. Next, connect the speakers appropriately and link it well to the ceiling.
The easiest way to install the speakers in your ceiling is by carrying out the below steps flawlessly.
- You must carefully remove your speaker grill and place it safely aside.
- Now, pluck the ceiling wires. Now, uncover both the conductors at a height of 0.5” and reveal the copper wires within, without removing any.
- Slowly link the pulled wires into the audio system and push it gently back into the ceiling.
- Next step is to screw each end of the speakers firmly and gently systematically aligned to the perimeter of the speaker, within the hole.
- The last step is to make sure that the direction of the sound is ensured as perfect. After keeping the grills appropriately, rotate the tweeters. When done, paint the grill of your audio system with your interior design to match the colors.
Now, you’re done!
Simply begin to enjoy the brilliant sound that you just fixed. This easy method can help you fill your dream sounds without heaping the clutter as well as draining space in your room.