- 1 Best CB Radio Reviews
- 2 Best CB Radio Buying Guide
- 3 Conclusion
Communication is very important, and the best CB radio exists to provide a cost-effective way to let you communicate with people in your organization. These radios are also extremely helpful by letting you monitor the events that are happening near your area. A citizen’s band radio is also helpful in times of emergencies as it allows you to send out a distress call to a specific channel. Most modern radios can even give out your location as additional information.
CB radios have a lot of features that can prove to be very useful to have in your household. There are many types of CB radios and a lot of different features that you can take advantage of. Here are the things that you need to know about these features as well as the popular types of CB radios today.
|Picture||Model||Editor Ratings||Our Review|
|Cobra 29 LX 40-Channel CB Radio|| (4.4 / 5) |
|Galaxy-DX-959 Mobile CB Radio|| (4.1 / 5) |
|Uniden BEARCAT CB Radio|| (4.3 / 5) |
|Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio|| (3.9 / 5) |
|Uniden PRO520XL 40-Channel CB Radio|| (4.3 / 5) |
Best CB Radio Reviews
The Cobra 29 LX is the best CB radio for its modern features and design. Cobra is a much respected brand when it comes to radios and is known to produce high-quality radios. This product features instant access to NOAA weather stations so you can get the latest weather forecasts wherever you are. It also has a selectable color display that features four colors to choose from including red, green, blue, and amber.
This CB radio is also the first and only CB radio with the Radio Check Diagnostic that allows you to monitor your system’s SWR setting, RF output, and the voltage of your car’s battery. More features include a “day” and “night” setting that automatically adjusts the screen’s readability depending on the lighting. As a bonus, you get to have a digital clock and timer along with an alarm clock to remind you of important tasks.
This Cobra’s model has a 40 channel scan, programmable memory channels, instant monitoring on channels 9 and 19, and talk back features. This radio has 4 watts of RF power output which is the maximum power that the law allows. Overall, this is a great CB radio that you can mount inside your vehicle. It is a high-performing, high-quality, and long-lasting product that you can rely on anytime.
If you use your CB radio professionally, the Galaxy-DX-959 is the best CB radio that you can purchase. This CB radio has functions that are driver-friendly so you won’t ever be confused on how to use them and have more time to focus on the road. This radio features different buttons and knobs that have their own tasks so you don’t even have to look at the LCD screen or go through a complicated menu as you drive.
This is one of the best performing CB radio for over 10 years now, which proves that it is definitely worth spending your hard-earned money on. It features large meter that has scales to measure your power output, SWR, modulation, and signal reception. There is also the frequency counter that has big yellow numbers and a channel display with larger yellow numbers for your information. You can also take advantage of its changing power output control for better reception.
The Galaxy-DX-959 gives you a push button to turn the meter lamp off and a Roger beep with an on and off switch. The Galaxy Noise Filter is a unique feature to Galaxy radios which lessens the noise to help clear weaker signals and give you better reception and transmission signals. Cobra built this CB radio with high-quality materials which makes this model durable and long-lasting so you better get one today.
If you are looking for the best CB radio that is packed with features and has a modern design, the Uniden Bearcat 980 CB Radio is what you need. It has big digital display meter that allows you to check your radio frequency, SWR meter, and signal levels easily. The screen also includes seven backlight colors that you can choose from to match it to your décor. Built by one of the leading radio manufacturers today, the Uniden Bearcat 980 was made to outperform all other CB radios today.
This product has noise cancelling and RF Gain features that allow you to talk to other people better and clearer. You can also stay tuned to the important NOAA weather alerts so you can get weather alerts. It also has 40 channels that are available to use for communication anytime. The seven-color display’s backlight can be dimmed for your convenience for day and night with its dimmer feature.
The Bearcat 980 helps keep you connected easily and clearly with its Noise Blanker, Noise-cancelling microphone, and RF gain controls. It is a very dependable product that will surely not disappoint you as it is made by a trusted brand. If it’s your first time buying a CB radio, this one would be the best choice for you.
Having a CB radio while traveling can be an invaluable tool for emergencies and for keeping up on road conditions, and the Midland 75-820 40-channel handheld CB is one you should definitely consider. It comes with everything you need to get started in a hurry, including a battery pack for times you want to run the unit on six AA batteries and a cigarette lighter adapter for battery-free operation in your car.
It is an invaluable tool for emergencies and for keeping up on road conditions.
Midland 75-822 Mobile Adapter
It is powered with six AA batteries or your vehicle’s power port.
Midland 22-540 Headset
It is compatible with Midland headsets such as the 22-540.
Ultra-Portable CB and Weather Radio
40-Channel CB Radio
The 75-822 offers 40 separate communication channels, delivering the maximum CB communication range with 4 watts of output power.
It’s a fact that owning the best CB radio can prove to be invaluable when it comes to emergencies and keeping yourself updated on weather and road conditions. Midland has been producing CB radios for over a decade now, and so far, all of their products are reliable and long-lasting. The Midland 75-820 handheld features 40 channels that you can use along with the weather radio channels that are available in your country.
This handheld delivers the maximum range of 4 watts output power. It has a channel scan that automatically checks all the channels for any type of activity for at least 5 seconds. It allows you to store and access five channels of your choice instantly in its memory. Once you turn on this radio, it will remember the last channel that you were using before you turned it off. You will also like the automatic noise limiter that improves signal reception and removes noise.
You can immediately access channels 9 and 19 by using this radio, and the Dual Watch feature lets you monitor another channel of your choice and channel 9 at the same time. This device uses six AA batteries with life-extending feature. If you want to get the most out of your batteries, you can choose between the high and low power settings. By doing so, you can save your battery power for emergencies and important events.
This is yet another great handheld CB radio by Uniden that offers a 40-channel operation, plenty of features, and a portable, compact design so you can take it everywhere you go. You can use this best CB radio on any of the FCC-authorized frequencies. It also comes with a signal and RF meter along with its red LED light indicators that allows you to monitor activity in one glance. This is a truly easy-to-use portable radio that is great to use for outdoor activities.
To improve communication, the Uniden PRO520XL features automatic noise limiter and automatically improves reception in areas with weak signals. The end goal is to allow you to transmit and receive signals flawlessly eliminating any type of noise that can obstruct communication flow. If you use radios for your profession, you might want to consider this model as it ensure clear voice transmissions.
As a standard protocol, this channel switches to channel 9 automatically to scan for emergencies. You can also boost your signal level by using the RF gain feature and see how much signal you have with the RF and signal meters. The Public Address mode lets you use external speakers to listen to transmissions louder. Enjoy all of these great features and more when you purchase the Uniden PRO520XL.
Best CB Radio Buying Guide
What is a CB Radio?
A citizen’s band radio is used mostly for short or long distance communication by drivers, dispatchers, and people that are part of a certain organization. In most cases, the best CB radio is also used by a lot of homeowners to keep them updated on the local news, events, and weather alerts. CB radios can be very helpful during times of emergency as it lets you call for help in a channel that is monitored by a lot of people.
There are many times that a CB radio has helped someone in trouble just by sending out a distress call. In the USA, the emergency channel is 9, and most CB radios automatically checks and monitors this channel at all times. There are many different features of a CB radio, and you need to familiarize yourself on them first before purchasing one.
What are the Different Types of CB Radios?
In general, there are two types of CB radios: the mobile and the handheld. They have their own pros and cons so here is some information on the two:
- Mobile CB Radio – This type has compact designs and can be mounted directly on to your vehicle’s dashboard. For power, mobile CB radios are directly wired to the car’s battery. That being said, this type stays in the car and is not at all portable.
- Handheld CB Radio – Handheld models, as the name suggests, are portable and compact CB radios that you can take with you anywhere you go. When it comes to power, this type has the same equal power output as the mobile type.
What are the Benefits of using a CB Radio?
Because everyone is using smart phones, the internet and other ways of communicating with one another, you might think that CB radios offer fewer benefits. There are many CB users that can prove this wrong because CB radios offer a lot of benefits, and here are some of them:
- Cost-Effectiveness – CB radios are in fact the most cost effective way to stay connected. After purchasing the system and setting it up, there are no further costs that you need to worry about. Compared to mobile phones that offer services such as text messaging and calling in exchange for a certain costs, CB radios are the way to go.
- Road Condition Updates – This is one of the best benefits that a CB radio can have especially if you drive all the time. CB radios can give you updates about the traffic jams, road accidents, and other causes of delay in specific areas of the country. This helps save you time if you are planning a road trip with friends and family.
- Accurate Directions – Having a CB radio lets you ask other users for accurate directions if you are not familiar in the area that you are in. Instead of relying on GPS, you can talk to a fellow CB radio user that has precise knowledge about the routes available to you.
- Safety – This is the best benefit that you can get from the best CB radio especially when you are driving for long hours through long distances. The CB radio is a great tool to get help if there is an unforeseen event or an accident along the way. Even during nighttime, there are concerned CB radio users that are monitoring their radios for any distress calls that may concern a citizen. Because of CB radios, a lot of distress calls have been answered, and people who got into accidents were rescued.
What are the Features of a CB Radio?
The best CB radio has a lot of useful features that you might want to consider before purchasing one. These features are tailored to people’s needs and help make your life easier by enhancing the effectiveness of a CB radio:
- Instant Access to Channel 9/19 – These are also known as the emergency channels that you need to tune into for any updates and emergency reports. By pushing a button, you are able to get important information about safety concerns or road conditions.
- Weather Radio Alerts – In the radio community, the weather channel is more commonly known as the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and Specific Area Message Encoding (SAME). NOAA broadcasts national weather alerts, while SAME alerts are location-based ones. This is a very useful feature because it gives you an updated location-based weather forecast. Since most people use two-way radios for their outdoor activities, you can also take advantage of this feature to make sure that your trip is not going to be affected by bad weather.
- Noise Canceling – This is a great feature that cancels out background noises resulting to the clarity of transmissions going in and out. It is an important feature especially at sea where there are situations that can create loud noises like engine noise and wind.
- Built-in SWR Meter – Antenna warning indicator – Not all CB radios has this feature, so it is essential to take note of this indicator as it will automatically or instantly alert you of any SWR issues or problems. Most indicators from different brands have a red warning LED.
- Bluetooth Technology – This is feature that you might want to consider as everything operates with Bluetooth connectivity nowadays. You can pair the radio to your mobile phone and enjoy hands-free calling.
- PA Capability – This is a great feature that allows you use your radio as a Public Address (PA) system. This allows you to connect the CB radio to an external speaker so you can hear transmissions better.
In the USA, the best CB radio is used by a lot of homeowners to keep them updated on the local news, events, and weather alerts. CB radios can be very helpful during times of emergency as it lets you call for help in a channel that is monitored by a lot of people. CB radios help save a lot of lives and rescue people that got into accidents thanks to its nonstop monitoring and alerts.
Just like any other devices, you need to consider many features that a CB radio system offers. The features directly affect their price so you need to know exactly what you need so you don’t get the best CB radio system with features that you won’t use and spend too much money on it.
Check out other Car Speakers & Radio too!
- Car Speaker (also best car speaker here)
- 6x9 Speakers (also here)
- 6.5 Car speakers (also here)
- 6x8 Speakers (also here)
- Best Car Amplifier (also this list)
- Best Component Speaker (also 6.5-inch version)
- Car Subwoofer & 15-inch subwoofer (also best subwoofer)
- Best Touch Screen Car Stereo (also here)
- Best Walkie Talkie (also here)
- Police & Radio Scanner (also here)
- Marine Radio (also here)
- Emergency Hand Crank Radio (also here)
- CB Radio (also here)
- CB Antenna (also here)